Sunday, October 11, 2009

BP12- My comments about Alicia's blog

bp12_20091011_Flickr

Lesson Plans Involving Flickr

I found a lesson online involving using pictures on Flickr to tell a story. The lesson was aimed at second grade students and centered around wildlife animals. The teacher would upload photos of the animals onto Flickr and then project them on the screen for the students to see. The students are then asked to write a story based on the animals that they see. After allowing students the time to write, they can share their stories

with the class (Woerner, 2009).

I could see using a similar idea in my music classroom. I believe that analyzing music is important for a well-balanced musician, which is why I required daily journal entries. It is also important to make connections between the arts, which is where I see a lesson plan involving Flickr fitting in nicely. I would create a series of images on Flickr and then play different music examples and ask the students to write how the tone of the picture changes. The same picture can have two very different meanings depending on the music and the context that it is shown in. The mood of the piece can have a drastic effect on the photo. A woman staring out at the sunset over the ocean could be a very calming peaceful picture, but pair it with music that is in D minor and Andante and the mood of the picture changes to sadness or longing. Another lesson could include displaying a picture and asking students to compose their own piece of music to describe the picture. The reverse could also be done by playing a piece of music and having the students find a picture on Flickr, or take a picture and post it to Flickr, that embodies the musical piece. The possibilities are endless.

References:

Woerner, R. (2009). Example of Flickr at the elementary level. Retrieved October 11, 2009, from http://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/ INSITE/Example+of+Flickr+at+the+ Elementary+Level

1 comments:

my4brownsons said...

Alicia I think this is an excellent idea. Way to go, thinking outside of the box. I really never thought about using Flickr in this way. I have used it the traditional by just sharing images with friends, but now that you have shared an additional way for using this resource, I am excited about the things I will be able to do within my classroom. This can certainly be used as a learning tool in every content area. The excellent thing about this all is this is one of the few online tools that is not blocked in my district.

No comments:

Post a Comment